Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Field Work Photos 2012

I am writing this post from the Vancouver Airport on my way back to Ottawa from Whitehorse where I was conducting my field work this summer. For now I'll just post some of the coolest pictures that I took. I'll write something more substantive on what we were doing there in a little while...at least after I have dried out my tent.

Our first stop once we arrived in Whitehorse was to the Yukon Archaeological Survey, who are kind enough to store our camping supplies for us when we aren't using them. A visit to the survey is always a cool experience since every ancient bone and artifact found in the territory is housed there. 

Mammoth leg bone.

They have quite a large collection of bones at the survey. It seems as though every square inch of the place as something cool in it. 

Gold rush era grave marker

Another gold rush era grave marker. Unfortunately the name is not legible. 
 Once we have picked up the gear it is time to head to the field. This year we were working the in Whitehorse area so we were able to camp near town and commute to the field every morning...super convenient!! In order to access our field area, which was located about 20 minutes south of Whitehorse, we would drive ATV's along the trails that cut through the watershed and collect samples from any creeks or springs that we came across. The trails in the watershed were a little rough and bumpy, but that just makes for fun ATVing and on the whole we were able to get around excellently, and did not get stuck once, despite some sketchy trail conditions in places.



The difficult driving conditions were well worth it though for the views of the watershed from the top of the mountains!

Golden Horn Mountain

View of Coal Lake and Coal Ridge

Granger Mountain and the permanent snowpatch that is always there.

On the shore of Coal Lake
Since we were driving around on the noisiest vehicles ever invented (ATV's) we did not see much in the way of wildlife.  I think this was for the best since we really did not feel like having to deal with bear troubles. However, we did see a few signs of life and even a few critters during the week to ensure us that the area was not completely devoid of animal life.

A marmot just chillin'

Wolf Creek deserves its name....this is a very fresh wolf track

I startled a caribou!

The caribou leaving. It is amazing how easily they can move over the terrain.
Thanks for reading.

Matt

P.S. This post is a bit of a milestone in that it marks the 50th published post on my blog!! Thanks to those who subscribe and read my posts. I appreciate your support. Here's to 50 more!!




2 comments:

  1. Congrats' on your 50th. Thanks for hosting this great blog. I look forward to every new post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zac! I really appreciate the encouragement.

      Delete